Kleng Meedercher, Risen Iddien

Friday, July 21, 2006

Audiobooks & the People Who Love Them

Presently I am studying for the bar exam. It isn't as interesting as it sounds. Although writing pages on commercial paper (checks) suretyship (cosigners) and equity (thats not fair) is my idea of a fun Friday night, everyone needs a change after two months.

Enter Audible.com.

At the beginning I made a good faith effort to choose "academic" books on tape. (Yes, my brain is mush. Thank you IBABY and Law School, actual print is now too complicated for me.) Thus, foreign language downloads, New Yorker stories and biographies fill my audible library. I even have some Proust (native French), Lubac and Janet Smith.

Boy that was ambitious, and I can say that I found those all very edifying.

I learned that I do not have the ability to concentrate on bar while listening to interesting ideas.

Enter the audible "Harlequin" section.

It started off very innocently. At first, I bought a science fiction novel which slurpy and I destroyed in its written form (childhood obsession - and alanna is not as good spoken). But that led me to a science fiction/womens novel about a vampire - which happened to be published by harlequin. That was three weeks ago. Now, I am addicted to the smut. My audible library is packed with classics such as "Some like it Haute," "Match me if you can," "Debutante Divorce" and "The Sex Quotient."

Stephanie Merril, Patricia Burns: please don't kill me.

Have I relegated myself to the shameful corner of the bookstore marked by the bulging groins portrayed on every cover? Will I ever be able to show my face in the non fiction shelves again?

To be continued...
E 11:30 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment