Kleng Meedercher, Risen Iddien

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Keeping Oneself Apprised of Global Events

It's exceedingly important. A lot of non-Americans I have spoken with are extremely critical of us Americans for having our collective head in our ass regarding anything that goes on outside our borders (she went on to say that she is suprised when people know the results of their local elections, but always knows that she can get an update on the latest Idol winner from any American she asks - be it a student, government official or homeless person). I think that is a little harsh, coming from a member of the Uraguayan upper class (think Beverly Hills but with more armed guards and bullet proof limos), but whatever. Her and her hubby have moved on to Croatia, hopefully to a more socially conscious community.

That's beside the point - because Americans really have no excuse for not knowing more about the rest of the world. At least two thirds of us (with basic cable and/or streaming capacity) don't. We are a very lucky nation in that we can do two things at once: 1) keep abreast in current affairs; and 2) (okay not actually doing) Anderson Cooper.

And that brings me to the point of this post. Anderson Cooper. Actually there is nothing else to say. I am currently a wellspring of knowledge concerning all things reported by CNN in the Lebanese-Israeli conflict due to my ENORMOUS crush on him. Seriously. There is something just very attractive about a man in the middle of armed combat who somehow manages to remain perfectly coiffed. (Please do not think that I do not realize the implications of that ability, especially when combined with chronic bachelorhood, residence in NYC and ownership of a welsh springer spaniel).

Maybe some soul searching would tell me that my emotions do not resemble a normal crush so much as they do fairly intense jealousy. Yes, he is a Vanderbilt, and yes he went to Yale, and yes he is famous ... but none of this is really the point. The REAL point is that it is cosmically unfair that some are allowed and PAID to roam the world and others look out on a fairly bland life in a very boring red state in the center of a very placid society (not saying that we don't all make choices, and that I am not in an enviable position).

But, despite my current blogginess I am not really in the mood for soulsearching. No. I am in the mood for commercial paper.
E 12:42 PM

1 Comments:

Glamour magazine this month had him listed as one of the top-15 reasons men are getting better.... they're touching feely anchors now who are 'not afraid to show emotion' instead of being 'talking heads'. Personally, I haven't really seen much of his actual show to develop a crush. He's a little blonde for my taste (and the promos for his show annoy the hell out of me.) But, I wonder- could this be the subtler, American version of Canada's Naked News, http://www.nakednews.com/?

Add a comment