Kleng Meedercher, Risen Iddien

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Taxicab (driver) Confessions

Yesterday I had to go back to the doctor to pick up my test results. (They weren't all completed, but that is actually another story. Apparently, Uncle Sam is subjecting me - or rather my blood - to some rather unusual, and lengthy, tests.) As per usual, I was running late, so I took a cab there. As it was raining I then took a cab from the office to Trader Joes, then from there to my apartment. This morning I took a cab from my apartment to work (was running late and it was actually possible). Bad idea for my wallet ($23+11.00+14+13=$62!) but a fairly interesting experience. Cab drivers are usually pretty interesting guys - I generally like talking with them.

The first driver was an older gentlement from Pakistan. He was the least talkative of the bunch, but had definite opinions on the best route (Lincoln Avenue). He also told me that he lived right by the office, so it was no big deal for him to get there. And he drove like a maniac, which I found endearing.

The second driver was a very young Pakistani boy (maybe 17). I was his first customer, and he was very energetic. He had a lot to say about the dangers of driving a cab. Apparently, it is the third most dangerous job - after prostitute, and cop. He regaled me with stories of his forays into the ghetto (his word). It was his least favorite place because people are always on the street and it is difficult to drive. He said there are hordes of people just walking on the street at all hours of the night. I have never seen this for myself, but I was not really clear as to what area he was talking about. He also had a lot to say about "ghetto guys" whom he picked up from time to time. Once, he picked up a well-dressed guy from the Drake and drove him into the "ghetto," and proceeded make multiple stops on street corners with this same guy in the car. Then they drove back to the Drake. He was paid $500. He also told me about this "ghetto" guy who worked at the consulate in Pakistan. Apparently he spoke like a rapper and terrified the applicants. I got the feeling that this first driver had a love/hate relationship with, as he termed them, "ghetto" people.

The third driver was a radiology student at Truman College. He was from North Africa. He really liked Snoop Dogg, and played B96 very loudly. I liked him because he gave me a cab company number, which I didnt have before. I was his first customer of the night too.

This morning my driver was about my age and of an indeterminate Asian nationality. He was studying finance at DePaul and wanted to be a currency trader. The idea of being a cab driver while going to school fascinated me. He did not like his job at all - said it was really, really boring. I told him that he should listen to books on tape.

Okay, this post is getting boring even for me to write. I'm sorry if you read all the way down to here.

Ciao
E 10:32 AM

0 Comments:

Add a comment