Kleng Meedercher, Risen Iddien

Sunday, December 02, 2007

special snack surprise is not delicious

I love Hong Kong. This feeling has slowly evolved from Friday, when I truly did not love anything about it. My antipathy towards Hong Kong began on Friday when the hotel shuttle left the airport without us, and no one let us know that it was here, had left, or that it was probably silly for us to continue to stand by the door with all our bags. The hotel staff thought it was much more helpful to stand and laugh at us. I was very angry, and stared angrily at anyone who I suspected was employed by either Langham Place or Chep Lok airport.

Hong Kong almost redeemed itself in my eyes when we arrived at a restaurant overlooking the harbour. The bartender made me a delicious and potent rose pepper gimlet (gin). I was happy.

This happiness lasted only a short time, as I soon realized that I was not going to be a huge fan of cantonese cuisine. There is no reason to eat an egg which has been aged for 100 years, or which is old enough that the proprietor can pretend it has been. Similarly, I see no benefit in eating a birds nest, a shark fin or any sort of dish that bills itself as containing a fetus. Anyone who has spent any amount of time with me knows that I get cranky when I am presented with a menu devoid of anything I will enjoy. My happiness further decreased when three cabs refused to take us to our hotel for no discernable reason.

Luckily, Hong Kong redeemed itself the next day and is no longer the subject of my ire. More on that later.
E 5:28 PM

1 Comments:

welcome to Asia, sister dear. And the best part of it all is that YOU are the strange one here.

Add a comment